I have been a Young Living essential oil user for almost 4 years and really should have shared more about them before now… I HAVE to stop and share a story about lavender from this past week!
Essential oils: the “vital fluids of the plants that are their life blood. They are called “essential” because they are necessary for the life of the plant and contain the “essence” of the plant.” -Healing Oils of the Bible by David Steweart Ph.D.
Lavender is the second oil I bought, after Thieves. It has the claim of being the most versatile of all essential oils… and I tend to agree!
I’ve only scratched the surface of its uses. I knew it was good for relaxing and skin healing. I’d used it on my arm for an oven burn and plenty of relaxing baths… but when Aaron fell and split his chin open last Sunday I really saw how useful it was!
I think he might be growing, not only do his legs look longer but he was a bit clumsy last week. Or maybe I just noticed it more than usual. But either way, one of his falls landed him on a toy truck, chin first.
He wasn’t too upset about the wound or blood… mostly upset I wanted to take him home to get him cleaned him up. (We were at a park close to home.)
It wasn’t the worst wound I’d seen, but I knew it needed a butterfly bandaid, if not more. It was split pretty good. (FYI: Hydrogen peroxide gets blood stains out of clothes.)
We always pray first when the kids get any kind of “owie.” I’d done that back at the park, and now having it cleaned up I saw it needed two butterflies.
Lavender ‘popped’ into my head… so I applied that first, neat (undiluted), THEN the butterflies. He was off and playing like nothing happened.
I don’t know if I should have, but I took the butterflies off in the morning… just to see… and the skin had sealed back together! I couldn’t believe it so… I put more lavender and a new butterfly back on -just in case he bumped it. Big cuts like that aren’t supposed to heal so fast I thought!
But I’m not even sure it would have reopened unless he really fell hard again. That night I check it and let him sleep with no covering, just lavender.
The next day I put on a bandaid with lavender. By night, I took it off and have left it uncovered since then.
I don’t know how to best explain my amazement! By Wednesday night when we saw some friends -they agreed it DID NOT look like a wound from Sunday! It was pretty much gone.
Sorry there are no pictures. The photographer in me DID think of taking some but I don’t want to make anyone sick.
If you’re interested in ordering some lavender let me know! (I’m a distributer now!)
Here are a few more of it’s many uses…
- applying to the feet may cause a calming effect on the body or on palms then rub them on your pillow to help you sleep.
- a drop on a bee sting or insect bite may soothe itching, stinging and discomfort. (Purification oil helps with this too!)
- 2-3 drops may soothe a minor burn. (Works like a charm!)
- dropping Lavender oil may soothe a cut. (yep, yep!)
- possible help in alleviating the symptoms of motion sickness, place a drop of Lavender oil on the end of the tongue or around the naval or behind the ears. (We use ginger and peppermint for motion sickness rubbed on your belly.)
- possible in helping to reduce and/or minimize the appearance of scar tissue, try massaging Lavender oil on and around the area.
- rubbing several drops of Lavender oil into the scalp may help with flaking.
- a few drops of Lavender oil on a cotton ball and placing in your linen closet to scent the linens and may help repel moths and insects. (WAY better than the smell of moth balls!)
- a few drops of Lavender oil on a wet cloth and throwing into the dryer, may help to deodorize and freshen your laundry.
- Spritzing several drops of Lavender oil mixed with distilled water on a sunburn may help soothe it.
- dropping Lavender oil on a cut may help clean the wound, sanitize and soothe it.
- 2-3 drops of Lavender oil to a rash may help and soothe the skin.
That’s probably way more than you ever wanted to learn about lavender. I’m working my way through the book quoted above, Healing Oils of the Bible. I’d highly recommend it! I love what I’m learning about oils in the Bible! Worth checking out!
**I am not a doctor and do not claim to be one. Just sharing my experience with these oils created from plants God made. (Informational Purposes Only Not Approved by the FDA)